Melk Abbey stands on the bank of the Danube between Salzburg and Vienna. It overlooks the town of Melk
and is impressive with its golden ochre towers.
Benedictine monastic community of Melk is over 900 years old and black-robed monks still stroll amidst the
marble sculptures and frescoed walls. It is now also a prestigious co-ed monastery school with more than 900
impressive Baroque builsings were built in 1702-1736 by architect Jakob Prandtauer. Noteworthy is the Church
with frescos by Johann Michael Rottmayr and the impressive library with countless medieval manuscripts.